Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Some Typical Meals

I so enjoy my coffee time in the morning.  I'm doing it right now ;)


I've been doing smoothie's for my weekday breakfasts for about 10 years now.  I know that because I started when I was pregnant with Elijah and wanted to get in all my servings of plants.  The base is soymilk, nonfat yogurt, mixed berries and ground flaxseed.  Then I stuff as many fruits and vegetables in as I can.  Tons of spinach, bean sprouts, asparagus, kale, whatever I have.  Finish it with half a banana for sweetness.

Always in my big green cup so I can drink it on the go.


The boys's bring a lunch everyday, except Fridays when they can buy.  On the left is David's:  pita bread and hummus, juicy box, green apples and a go-gurt. On the right Elijah's: ham sandwich, apples, juicy box,  go-gurt.  I usually will pop in an extra treat, like a home-made cookie, or hershey's kiss. 

Meat Dip is a favorite in our home!  My good friend gave me the recipe a few years ago and I think I make it at least once a month. 
1st layer-- 1/3 cooked and seasoned ground beef mixed with 2/3 black beans.  2nd layer-- package of cream cheese, half a container of light sour cream, big jar of thick-n-chunky salsa, all mixed together. 3rd layer shredded cheddar cheese.  Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.  Serve with tortilla chips (you can get a huge organic bag at CostCo for about $5)  It's a fun meal to it and so yummy.  Here I served it with a side of peaches and strawberries. 


Oatmeal Fruit Bars for dessert.

I rarely cook a whole meal from start to finish in one time slot.  Having a meal plan, even just 2 or 3 days out allows me to put even just 15 minutes to good use.  In 15 minutes I can get all sorts of chopping done, or mix together some ingredients, or cook up ground beef, rinse and start soaking beans.  Soak beans overnight or simmer ham or chicken bones overnight and voila- I am working in my sleep!!

Just the other day I had a small block of time and in 20 minutes I chopped up the rest of our Easter Ham, threw it in a freezer bag, then added a large chopped up onion, and some shredded carrots.  Put the bag in the freezer.  Tonight I will start a chicken carcass (from my Cost-Co rotisserie chicken that we had with rice and seaweed last night)  simmering on the stove for broth which I will freeze.  Then, on a busy day... all I have to do is put my broth, ham mixture, and dried split peas in the Crockpot and come dinner time, it's ready to go.  You'd think I'd have slaved all day over such a delicious pot of soup, but nope :)

It is so important to me to nourish myself and my family as well as I can.  It saves money, keeps me focused on my family, trains the children to have a taste for home-cooked meals (as opposed to fast "food") and keeps us healthier in the long run.  It can be done! Glean ideas that  will work for you and your family, think creatively, and never waste a spare minute ;) ;) ;)

2 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

You are doing so good with the healthy eating. I don't think I could handle spinach in my smoothie! You are brave!

I'm so glad you still use the meat dip recipe. It is a favorite of ours as well.

Love ya!

Majors Don and Martha Sheppard said...

you, my friend, are so inspiring to me. . . truly!!!

martha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...