Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Books



"We only see what we know"
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe [1749-1832].


Here are some of the good books I've read these last few months.  If you CLICK on the Title, it will take you to the front cover and more information.   I've picked up a few others here and there, but I quit reading if I don't like the begining and ending.  I hate wasting my time ;)

Little Bee by Chris Cleave  There are 2 shocking scenes in here but I think they were necessary to tell the story.  I really liked this book after I read it and found myself thinking about the relationships and such.

Addiction and Grace by Gerald G. May   So good. Enlightening. Applies to everyone, we all struggle with addictions in some form or another.  A view of our human nature to idolize and be over-attached to so many things in our lives. I'm reading this for the second time.

The Secret Holocaust Diaries  by Nonna Bannister  I don't know why I read stuff like this. It upsets me so much, makes me so MAD.  It's unnerving to see what evil we are capable of but it is also so encouraging to see, by the grace of God, how victorious we can be too.

To Have And To Hold by Mary Johnston  I keep coming back and forth from this. I'm enjoying reading it after David did.  It's good, but long.

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen  Entertaining and fun to read about something I am so unfamiliar with.. Circus life.  I saw some depth here too with the characters and the good, bad and grey. I also really liked reading about the animals and the culture.

Just For Today: Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts  Paul and I are reading this together and plan to use it in the ministry

Mrs. Dunwoody's Excellent Instructions for Homekeeping: Timeless Wisdom and Practical Advice" by Miriam Lukken  Such a wonderful reference book!  I will be adding this one to my home library.  I just LOVE homemaking books.  It helps me  in the ministry too because I'm learning how to do things right, efficiently and gracefully. 
The children do lots of reading too.  I try to read to someone atleast once a day.  David and Elijah will read to the littles too.  I always think that is so sweet.  Sometimes, I find myself getting out of the habit of reading to the kids, but I really try to discipline myself to do it everyday.  It really only takes 15 minutes or so, and if I don't really "feel" like reading I tell the kids it's my turn to pick a book and then I can look forward to reading a children's book that I like.  Such as "Where The Wild Things Are"  or my "Wee Ones Bible Stories"  and I still love Shel Silverstein, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and Dr. Seuss as much as I did as a child.   We are all excited to explore the Library when we move!  Watch out!
 


Right now, I'm in the middle of   "Same Kind Of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together" by Ron Hall.  I am really enjoying this book.  It's got a grace-ministry-obeying God message in an excellent story form.  I'm about half-way through.  I'm so tired at night, I only get about 15 minutes of reading in!

I've also been reading the book of Psalms often.  I've been into poetry lately and especially the glorious descriptions of God's Creation and how very much there is to learn from it.

What are you reading?


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...